Monday, February 14, 2011

What's In A Name??

Have you ever thought about what your name means? Where it comes from? Why your name was chosen for you?  I have been giving this a lot of thought lately, as I am starting to think of names for my future child.  It seems more difficult this time around.

My first born was easy.  I came across the name Dylan and loved it for several reasons.  One reason is that it is an old name and has been through the ages of time.  As a surfer and someone who loves the ocean, I loved the name for what it means.  Dylan is the name of the Welsh sea god & translates to "the sea".  The story goes that Dylan was a twin, and the sea loved him from the time he was born.  He swam like a fish, and waves never broke across his back, and he spent much of his time at sea.  When Dylan was older, he was killed by his uncle while he was on land. The legend goes that the ocean missed hi so much that it began pushing itself towards land, calling him. This is the sound of the crashing waves on the shores we hear today, the sea calling its beloved Dylan home.

My second child is named Hope.  It is another name that has stood the test of time and has a beautiful meaning.  One of my all time favorite quotes about the word hope is this one:  "Hope is an island and an oasis where we keep our dreams. Hope is a place we guard when storm clouds rise and a candle we cover when ill wind blows and threatens the light in our lives."


So now I am left pondering choice my name choice for child number three...

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard the legend of Dylan before, it is beautiful. Returning your follow.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually thought of using Dylan for our new little one be they boy or girl. Eventually it got vetoed, but having lived near to the sea most of my life, it also spoke to me.

    I got the nicest complement from a friend of my mom's the other day. She had just told her the name of our 3rd daughter due in May, Eleanor Savannah, and she asked mom how we came up with such strong female names. Its the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my girls.

    Good luck with your 3rd little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great compliment~ and the name you have chosen is strong and beautiful. Congrats on the pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...