Monday, January 31, 2011

Finally, Finally, Finally!!!!

We finally got through our 1st of 3 (or 4) appointments necessary for my son to get his adaptive stroller & adaptive seating.  My son has cerebral palsy & I feel like we have been trying to get this equipment for him forever.  We successfully got through proving that the equipment is medically necessary.  I understand where they are coming from but from a mother's standpoint I just feel like saying, "Really?  You think I want my son to need all these extras so he can sit upright?  You think I want him to have to get a pediatric wheelchair?  Really?"

And then I take a deep breath and remind myself that this is her job, to not take it personally.  I remind myself that it is easy to let that knot of anxiety and fear for your child take over your emotions.  At the end of the half hour session, it was clear that my son did need everything we had requested, that is was all necessary and reasonable.  I was pleased she even recommended and will order seating for the bath.  My son loves his bath & this will make life much easier.  (Plus, as an added bonus, she told us it also makes for great seating for the beach!!)  We will be ready for summer!

 So we are on are way..  we should have all the equipment in about 3 months.  We are very excited as this is going to be such a huge help for my son & help him really take the next step in his continuing development.  Not to mention improved comfort and quality of life.  Life is good :)

Here is a pic of what his adaptive seating chair should look like (his has a couple of more "extras") It goes up & down as well as tilts:


9 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly,
    First, I would like to Thank You for stopping at my blog last week. It was very kind of you.
    I'm excited for you that you will be getting all the equipment that your son needs. From the picture it looks like they have made these chairs so advanced. I like the fact you will have an awesome summer. I know how the process of getting these things is mind boggling so I know what your going through. It does sound like you have a great head on your shoulders. Good Luck with your continued sucess.

    Michelle
    www.scrapthosepictures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful Mom and the best advocate for Dylan!!!! The chair looks awesome and should help make life easier for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have a nephew with CP... I just did a post about him: http://praisesofawifeandmommy.blogspot.com/2011/01/happy-birthday-miracle-baby-boy-tween.html

    Check it out. Also if you ever have to vent or have a question please stop by and ask. I have a degree in voc. Rehab/Special Education! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly,
    Is this the same little one you told me about who had to spend a month in the NICU? Well, it's wonderful to know that he's making such great progress and I'm sure he's just the light of your life! And thank you for sharing your story with me. It really helped my state of mind. I don't feel so much like a crazy person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly, you stopped by my Tragic Creativity blog on FMBT, I am returning the love! Sure glad I did because your blog looks wonderful. So great to meet so many excellent people.
    I am happy to hear you got this sorted out for your son, thank you for sharing your story.
    Will be seeing you again I'm sure!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the follow and I am following you back. looking forward to your posts and lord knows I could use some inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelly. I am so pleased that things are moving forward for you with regards to your beautiful little boy. It's still a shame that you have to wait for three months, but something to look forward to! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quality of life is so important! I myself am disabled and for me to have quality of life would be great! That is what I work towards every day! Great blog I'll be following it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone~ we are so excited for him to get his new equipment as I know it will really help with quality of life and help him continue to get stronger & keep making strides developmentally..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...